Keeping the lights on… Safely.
The key driver for all power plant personnel is simple – keeping the lights on, ensuring that electricity is delivered to the user, and allowing businesses, hospitals and homeowners to function. Power plants have many potential safety related hazards, including superheated and supercritical steam, high pressure gas, PF dusts, etc. Process Safety Management is key to delivering power in a safe and environmentally balanced way.
MMI has a dedicated team of engineers with the depth and breadth to offer the full range as an integrated service with many hundreds of years’ experience in complementary engineering and science disciplines to bring robust, cost effective and innovative solutions to bear on process safety related issues. MMI’s long experience in the nuclear industry can assist our clients with the safe development of the new nuclear power plant under development. We assist our clients in all aspects from purely theoretical modelling and analysis to practical implementation and site assistance:-
- Process Safety Management Systems Audit, Review and Implementation
- Major Hazard Identification and Assessment
- Inherent Safety Assessment
- Seismic Engineering
- Safety Integrity Level determination (SIL), Layers of Protection Analysis (LOPA)
- Hazardous Operations Review Facilitation (HAZOP)
- Risk Assessment Facilitation (HAZID, ENVID and Bowtie)
- Assurance Review of Engineering Designs
- Management of Change Methodology Development and Facilitation
- Competence Enhancement via Process Safety Training
- Ash Lagoon Operation, Closure and Remediation
- End of Plant Life Demolition and Remediation Services
- Carbon Capture and Storage
- Wind Turbine Structural and Safety Analysis (Onshore/Offshore)
In parallel with highly specific problems, MMI is constantly engaged in the efficient handling of assurance work through modelling, using industry norm software such as PHAST, as well as integrity assurance in accordance with industry standards such as IEC 61508 and 61511. With its specialist laboratory facilities, MMI can deliver bespoke land remediation solutions for brownfield sites and demolition projects.
MMI was one of the first companies to be involved in Carbon Capture and Storage, providing modelling and hazard analysis support to several major clients at the forefront of this technology. MMI has a team of engineers and scientists who have been a key part of CCS projects, including project management, release modelling, CO2 dispersion, flow assurance and experimental work.
Wind energy – MMI’s teams have carried out work to inform the UK HSE on the safety issues surrounding wind turbine operation, investigations into seabed scour and the impact on offshore wind installations.