MMI, amongst other companies, supported The Energy Institute in the development of the recently launched publication “Hazard Analysis for Offshore Carbon Capture Platforms and Offshore Pipelines”.
Tony Byrne of MMI sat on the Steering Group (SG), working with other industy experts to guide the project, the aims of which were to:-
- Provide a basic guide for the health and safety hazard analysis for offshore management of CO2 pipelines and platforms, where CO2 will be present as a part of Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS) installations.
- Communicate existing knowledge on pipeline and offshore facility design and operation and identify areas of uncertainty where existing knowledge cannot be applied with sufficient confidence, considering the scale and nature of expected CCS operations in the future.
- Set out existing knowledge on pipeline, offshore facilities, design, operation, for CO2 operations.
- Identify areas of uncertainty where existing knowledge cannot be applied with sufficient confidence.
- Allow engineers and project managers involved in CCS projects to widen their knowledge base to ensure that procurement of equipment and operational guidelines are using the current knowledge.
In summary, the research report provides information on:-
- CO2 hazard analysis, for both offshore facilities and pipelines.
- Some design and operational considerations for offshore installations.
- Some design and operational considerations for offshore pipelines.
The following professionals will benefit from receiving the report:-
- Project engineers and managers who are procuring new CCS installations and pipelines.
- Engineering designers and managers who are procuring new CCS installations and pipelines.
- CCS industry participants who wish to widen their knowledge of CCS technology and the properties of CO2 relevant to offshore installations.
- Safety advisers and professionals who need to understand the pertinent properties and health and safety hazards of CO2.
Further details can be found here:- http://www.energypublishing.org/publication/ei-technical-publications/process-safety/carbon-capture-and-storage/research-report-hazard-analysis-for-offshore-carbon-capture-platforms-and-offshore-pipelines